Saturday, May 21, 2011

There and back again

This week, three days of 40km cycles and a pick up in my average pace. I'm still able to keep at 25 km/h as I head home into a stiff evening breeze blowing down the Thames and along the Embankment. It's been a struggle to get this basic level of fitness, six weeks of huffing up and puffing down hills. I feel this week is a real milestone in sorting out my fitness.

Total time out on Friday was just under 50 minutes - fully 5 minutes quicker than a month ago and this included having to stop for more than the usual number of traffic lights.

Next goal is to cycle up to Notting Hill Gate without dropping below 25 km/h; once I can do that I'm set. If I leave after atbout 7:15am there are plenty of trucks heading into the West End which means ducking and diving around parked food deliveries and drivers suddenly popping out into your path.

Hyde Park in the evening is getting dangerous; Boris Bikers are often like an escargatoire of snails. They move slowly in front of you, gently weaving back and forth as you approach them and sometimes veer directly into your path! They mostly travel two abreast so they can chat with their cycling partner. Pulling out to get round them is difficult, especially when someone is steaming down the hill towards you. With the other side of the path full of pedestrians, I often end up travelling at 10km/h while waiting for the traffic to subside.

Fundraising is going well; I've added the Just Giving widget to my home page and my preparations feel all the more worthwhile as your generours donations arrive. This really helps me get out of bed and get onto my bike!

No comments: