Friday, May 13, 2011

4 days on a bicycle

My decision to spend 4 days travelling 500 km to raise money for the Alzheimers society seemed sensible enough. After all, you're only doing 125 km a day; an avergate 20km an hour means you should spend about 6 hours in the saddle and the rest of the day will be spent with long lunches and relaxing evenings from about 5pm.

I'd forgotten about the bit that requires you to be fit enough to spend this time sat on a very hard object. That's right, the training bit. The last couple of weeks I've managed 40km a day, 20km each way to work and back, three times a week. Good progress, I hope. In June I'm aiming to put in a couple of late evening rides that add about 20km to the homeward trip.

This week I needed a new rear tyre, the old one had covered about 1,000km so it was pretty thin by the time I dumped it in the bin at the bike shop. Amazingly, the journey home was much easier! Guess I better read more of my bicycle maintenance book before I head off.

If you want to sponsor me, go to my link at to donate to this worthy cause!

I'm paying for the trip myself, so all your donations go directly to the charity.

No comments: