Monday, May 16, 2011

Hayfever

We could do with some rain around these parts. It's been windy and dry for April and May, meaning a load of bitesize flotsam from the flora and fauna is available to eat whenever you step outdoors.

After one ride home the other week, I decided a face mask was in order; I'd spent most of the evening coughing and spluttering whilst trying to clear out whatever had lodged itself in my lungs. Reminded me of the time we went to Morocco; lot's of dust everywhere and a well developed nagging cough.

Unfortunately come Friday evening and my eyes are sore and nose blocked - yes, it's hayfever big time. First bout ever for me and I was most unhappy about it. Half a box of tissues over the weekend and not sleeping properly. Deeply unimpressed, although I now have first hand sympathy for what the other half of the family suffer from.

Another 40km today. Good time this morning, though I suspect it was wind assisted given the head wind on the way home. Kept at around 30 km/h in the way in with a high cadence and my legs didn't feel rubbery by the time I arrived at work. Home leg was harder, it's also uphill most of the way, but I managed 25 km/h although there were a few tricky rises where I couldn't quite keep the pace up that I was looking for.

To keep me on track, I think of staying in front of the "voiture balai"; although no one chasing me it helps having a mental image of being swept up and out of the circuit if I can't match the pace I've set myself.

No comments: