Monday, September 12, 2011

Almost ready to go

Dear Friends, almost ready indeed.  Just need to gather up my belongings in my kit bag, including spare tyres and caffeinated goo for the days when I'm running out of energy, find my passport and make sure I've a few Euros in the wallet for snacks along the way.

I also need to shake off this snotty throat infection that one of my children brought back from a recent holiday.  I won't go into detail, just would like to say that I'm not ill and will be pushing myself along on my bike from Wednesday to Saturday this week.

I'll be home Sunday night.  Then I can be sick.  Right now, I'm not interested in being ill as I don't want to miss out on this opportunity to deliver on my end of the bargain after so many people have sponsored this endeavour.  I'm madly keen to do the ride, and perhaps the signs of illness represent some apprehension at the journey.  I don't want to be put off by illness.

So I'm keeping myself rugged up and dosing up on vitamin C to ward off whatever virus or bacteria is lurking in my system.

Yesterday I put a new chain on my bike, the first time I've done anything more than change a tyre, and tested it out.  I'm happy to report that it all works smoothly and I can't believe how much difference a new chain makes too; the old one was a bit stretched and this means you don't get all your energy into driving the back wheel.  The new chain feels smoother and I don't need to work as hard, even into the wind, to maintain the same speeds.

There are 70 people making the ride this week, so plenty of company along the way.  The hurricane tail will pass over Europe tonight and hopefully the weather will be drier and less windy later this week.

Before I head off, just a final word of thanks to all of you who've donated to this cause.  Your support is greatly appreciated and I'm very pleased that you've pledged so much for Alzheimer's  here in the UK.

No comments: